Subwoolfer band, representing Norway, perform during the Grand Final show of the 66th Eurovision Song Contest. (Daniele Venturelli / WireImage)
The Eurovision Song Contest is one of the biggest and best events in the television calendar, and it’s also one of the funniest and most iconic.
The competition also provokes some hilarious reactions on social media, with Eurovision fans flocking to Twitter to share their thoughts on the who’s the best, who’s the worst, and who should just go home already.
Needless to say, the 2022 contest has delivered in spades.
We take a look at some of the funniest and most iconic moments from the Eurovision Song Contest, from the bits that made people cry to the ones that made them howl with laughter.
1. Europe is obsessed with Norway’s entry
Norway’s Subwoolfer delivered all the wackiness we need at Eurovision with the song “Give That Wolf a Banana”, and Twitter was absolutely obsessed.
The group went down a storm on social media with their very yellow, very strange performance of a song that apparently makes no sense.
— simone (@simonemalec) May 14, 2022
— Jedward (@JepicHQ) May 14, 2022
europe at eurovision: love, love, peace, peace
— Joe Sharkey (@wittyusrname6) May 10, 2022
— Drei it sometime 🏠🏠🏠 (@mavisfamous) May 14, 2022
2. Måneskin weren’t afraid to joke about that moment from last year’s Eurovision
If you watched the 2021 Eurovision Song Contest, you’ll probably remember that moment when it looked a little bit like Måneskin frontman Damiano David was taking illicit drugs on live television.
The singer was seen leaning over close to the table in front of him, and speculation quickly mounted on social media that he was snorting cocaine. He later fiercely denied that he had done anything of the sort – and he wasn’t afraid to poke fun at the moment when Måneskin returned for the 2022 contest.
When asked if he had any advice to this year’s Eurovision contestants, David said: “Have fun and don’t get close to the table.”
The reaction on Twitter was priceless.
Where were you when damiano david uttered the iconic legendary words “dont get too close to the table”?? #EUROVISION
— Cherry 🍒 (@maneskimyuna) May 14, 2022
HE REALLY SAID DONT GET CLOSE TO THE TABLE #Eurovision
— Claire⚡️| Loki ४ (@Jadesmorley) May 14, 2022
3. Everyone is confused by all the ballads
When you think of Eurovision, you probably think of camp, overblown pop music – but that’s very much not the vibe at the 2022 contest. We get it Europe, everyone is miserable, and it’s officially the year of the ballad.
Some people are loving that, of course – but others were left wondering where all the bops and bangers were.
— george (@youmustescape) May 14, 2022
THIS IS #EUROVISION WE DON’T NEED SLOW SONGS. WE NEED WEIRDNESS AND UPBEAT CHAOS. IF WE WANTED TO BE SAD WE WOULD JUST WATCH THE NEWS.
— TechnicallyRon (@TechnicallyRon) May 14, 2022
there should be a ballad limit for #eurovision. 20% of the songs can be about feelings but the other 80% should just be shaking ass
— Cassie (@Cassiesmyth) May 14, 2022
— lynxie (@lynxtiel) May 14, 2022
4. Everyone was moved by Ukraine’s performance
It would be hard not to feel something when Ukraine’s Kalush Orchestra took to the stage to perform their song “Stefania”. The song has taken on a new meaning since Russia invaded Ukraine in February, prompting a war that has resulted in untold death and destruction.
There were emotional scenes in the arena in Turin, Italy, when the group performed their song, which is about the frontman’s mother.
Ukraine could’ve sang the alphabet and I’d still be emotional. #Eurovision
— Jack Duncan 🔻 (@JackDunc1) May 14, 2022
— Jon Will Chambers (@jonwillchambers) May 14, 2022
5. Mika’s medley gave everyone chills
Mika is one of the hosts at this year’s Eurovision, but it was when he took to the stage to perform a medley of some of his own songs that fans truly disintegrated.
The powerful performance was unabashedly queer and reminded the world of some of Mika’s biggest hits of yesteryear. Naturally, Twitter was in love.
Why didn’t we just have 2 hours of MIKA Medley?!?!?! #Eurovision
— Patricia Herterich (@PHerterich) May 14, 2022
— Brad (@braden1986) May 14, 2022
Those were just a small selection of some of the best moments from the contest – Twitter proved that it can spread joy as the night wore on, with people sharing hilarious and iconic memes.
— Scott Bryan (@scottygb) May 14, 2022
hey ho, let’s go pic.twitter.com/XXBN6Vzu8l
— Jules Darmanin (@JulesDrmnn) May 14, 2022
I can’t believe they dressed the presenter entirely in Jane Norman outfits pic.twitter.com/xpYRj0LM1X
— Kate Gray (@hownottodraw) May 14, 2022